If you have a disability or chronic illness that prevents you from getting into and out of the bath easily, and you intend to remain in your current property for at least the next five years. You may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG).
Social services or environmental heath department at your local council may be able help you and offer DFGs of up to £30,000 (in England), to eligible people wanting to make necessary home improvements. They can sometimes also offer low-cost loans. Therefore your income and savings have to be assessed first, and normally an Occupational Therapist will have to visit you to access your needs to refer you.
Applying for Disabled Facilities Grants
The following is taken from West Sussex County Council’s guide leaflet (Disabled Facilities Grants for adapting your home). Information provided is correct at time of posting, but may be subject to change. For current up to date and full information, follow the links below.
Who can apply?
- The following people can apply
- Disabled people who own their own home.
- Disabled tenants, council tenants may be dealt with separately.
- People who have a disabled adult or child living with them.
How do I apply?
Firstly discuss your situation with:
• your local district or borough council; or
• your local social care office of West Sussex County Council. (Ask to speak to Adults’ CarePoint, who will be able to give you advice.)
An occupational therapist or an occupational therapist assistant from your local social care office will need to assess your needs.
They will talk to you and your family or carer (if appropriate) about what adaptations might help you overcome your difficulties.
If the occupational therapist agrees that an adaptation is the best solution for you, they will make recommendations to the district or borough council.
Useful phone numbers
- Adur and Worthing Councils
- 01273 263259
- Arun District Council
- 01903 737755
- Chichester District Council
- 01243 785166
- Crawley Borough Council
- 01293 438000
- Horsham District Council
- 01403 215405
- Mid Sussex District Council
- 01444 477292
- Social care
- Adults’ CarePoint 01243 642121
- NGT Text Relay:
- 18001 01243 642121
- (Helps people with hearing and speech difficulties communicate over the phone. Available on tablets and smartphones if you download the app.)